Saturday, September 15, 2007

Shoot 'Em Up review


I read a review of Shoot 'Em Up by Brian Tallerico from Under Ground Online. After seeing the movie myself, and very much enjoying it, Brian's view of the movie was quite similar to my own. In his review he highlights the nonstop action that the film has from the very first scene to the end of the movie. The gunfights continue through the movie with hardly more than a minute without some sort of gunfire and Tallerico agrees as he says, "I would wager that at least one victim falls prey to a gunshot wound for at least every minute of the running time, probably quite a bit more." Tallerico also enjoyed the non-stop action commenting that it found "newer and more creative ways to annihilate countless bad guys." This is pretty much the summary of the movie and thus I enjoyed it. Tallerico had a similar view with me of what the movie felt like to the viwer as he says, "the movie isn't just testosterone-heavy, it's doused with it, sprayed with diesel, and set ablaze." I can't agree more with Tallerico's statement that the purpose of most new action movies is to show the viewer a new stunt, or a new car chase. In Shoot 'Em Up Michael Davis exceeds that expectation as he illustrates such crazy things as how to kill a man with a carrot. The main focus of the film is the action, thus there is pretty much no character devolpment or plot. Both Brian and I agree that the action is well worth the lack of plot and such. Such ridiclicuous action leads the viewer to think he or she has just seen a grown up, live Bugs Bunny cartoon with Clive Owen (Mr. Smith) as Bugs Bunny himself. Although the shootouts are completley unrealistic the action that this movie delivers is unbelievable. Never have I seen such a film that crams so much energy and shooting into one sitting. For the action movie fan this film is a must see. Davis has created a film that holds nothing back. It is simple in the respect that there is really nothing else to the movie other than its amazing gunfights and action scenes and the director does not try to make it anything more than such.

3 comments:

PaddyC said...

Shoot 'em up looks sweet. loaded with testastorone and a bullet every minute sounds like a movie I would like seeing.

Cherrys are sweat, im a beast said...

Nelly: first the rumors are true you do hit bombs. Now about Shoot em up, i loved it and i think your review pretty much lines up with mine... way to go, stay sweet

Mr. K said...

Erik: Nice start. Good selection of excerpts, especially the testosterone one. I would've liked to read a few more of your ideas to mix in with the critic's, but all in all a very good read.